hydrogen peroxiide

Yup, oxygen. Germs, bacteria, stains, mold and mildew don’t like it but plants, humans and pets do. So how do you go about cleaning with oxygen? Hydrogen peroxide, of course. Hydrogen peroxide is chemically known as H2O2 – in other words, water with an extra oxygen molecule. When you use it by spraying it on any surface, the oxygen molecule is liberated and you get left with water. Can’t get any more natural than that, can you?

Hydrogen Peroxide is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-mold and anti-mildew but completely non-toxic to everything else, as long as you use it in the right dilution.

What Hydrogen Peroxide to use

Hydrogen peroxide comes in many strengths, from the readily available 3% right up to 90%, which is basically rocket fuel. If you are using it just for cleaning, the ordinary type of Hydrogen Peroxide found in brown plastic bottles is okay but it will contain preservatives and stabilizers. This is a 3% solution that does not need to be diluted – just put it in a dark spray bottle and you are good to go.

35% food grade hydrogen peroxide does not have any of the additives but needs to be handled with care. If you spill some on your skin, it will tingle and burn and leave a white mark which eventually disappears. It’s not fatal, just really unpleasant.

Dilute in the ratio of one part H2O2 to 10.5 parts non-chlorinted water. This will give you a 3% solution.

Can be used everywhere, like:

  • In the bathroom (toilet, bath, shower)
  • On mildew – spray on, let it sit for a bit, then scrub off
  • Mirrors, windows, counters, taps, sink, fridge
  • On floors – add a cup to ½ a bucket of hot water and mop
  • On cutting boards to sanitize