You know vinegar is great for cleaning right, but if you add some citrus peels to the mix, it gets even better. This recipe calls for steeping peels in white vinegar for a few weeks. The oil from the peels leaches out into the vinegar to make the most awesome cleaner.
Citrus oil is a natural solvent and insect deterrent, plus it is antibacterial. The best part of this delightful cleaner though is the heavenly smell. Not only is the aroma of citrus just an all round nice one, it has been proven to reduce anxiety and stress!
You can use any citrus fruit you have on hand – lemon, lime, grapefruit, clementine or naartjie but orange seems to work particularly well. Choose whichever one appeals to your senses or try a combination of two or more.
What you need:
- Your choice of citrus peels (save them up in the freezer until you have enough)
- Glass jar with tight fitting lid
- White distilled vinegar
- Spray bottle
- ½- 1 teaspoon borax
- Filtered water
What you do:
- Fill the jar with citrus peels and add the vinegar. Make sure the peels are completely covered.
- Screw the lid on and put the jar where you will see it often
- Turn the jar upside down every couple of days or gently shake the contents
- After 2 – 4 weeks, pour the mix through a strainer – fine mesh sieve / coffee filter. Make sure to remove all the particles so you are left with just the liquid concentrate.
- Fill a spray bottle 1/3 to ½ full with the concentrate, add the borax (to prevent mold) and top up with water.
- Shake to mix and enjoy cleaning!
Note: don’t use this on marble or granite surfaces because it is too acidic and will dull them.