Did you know that you can use organic Shea butter for hair? It is naturally conditioning and because it is loaded with vitamins, essential fatty acids and phytonutrients, can nourish and protect the skin on your scalp too. It is anti-inflammatory and contributes to the creation of healthy collagen.
Shea butter softens hair, makes it shinier and keeps it from becoming dry and brittle because it helps to seal the hair shaft and lock in moisture.
The best Shea butter is unrefined, unbleached and organic. It has a strong earthy smell and is yellowish in color.
How to use Shea butter for natural hair conditioning
Try these simple Shea butter recipes for fabulous hair:
This one is so easy. Simply mix equal quantities of Shea butter and coconut oil together until you have a creamy, fluffy texture.
- Measure the Shea butter and place in a double boiler until melted
- Measure the same amount of coconut oil and add
- Whip or blend the two together until light and frothy and almost meringue-like (it might take some time)
- Store in a glass container in a cool, dark place
- Scoop out a small amount and apply to the ends of your just shampooed hair
- You can also apply it all over dry hair. Comb through to distribute evenly, leave for half an hour, then shampoo out.
Hair Mousse for healthy curls
- 125 ml shea butter
- 60 ml coconut oil
- 60 ml olive oil
- 20 – 30 drops essential oil (lavender, lemon, rosemary, tea tree)
Melt Shea in a double boiler, add coconut oil and whisk until fluffy.
Add essential oils, whisk again, then add the olive oil gradually until well combined.
Store in a cool, dark place.